Thursday 30 October 2014

1989!

Hey guys! I really don't have the readership to be able to say "hey guys" but I guess what I mean is "Hey anyone-who-could-potentially-be-reading-this!" but "hey guys" is shorter.

 So it's been a while! My last post was on the 13th and now it's the 31st. SO NOT A COINCIDENCE. Which reminds me of the obvious main topic of this post...1989!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




 I'm sure you all know but Taylor Swift released a new album a few days ago everyone and anyone who has ever met me is aware of my excitement for this album due to my life-long love for T-Swift, and this. album. is. GLORIOUS! I love it so much. It is everything I hoped for: confident, but not egotistical; fun, but not meaningless-dance-music (which is what most pop music is like nowadays and I really hate it. Sometimes I watch the top 10 on MTV and literally want to burst my own eardrums); and smart, and witty, and well-written, and catchy, and it just consists of all-around greatness only Taylor could achieve.

 Let me quickly summarise my thoughts on the songs: 

Welcome To New York - It's honestly not my favourite but I do really love it, it is such a fun song! 

"The lights are so bright but they never blind me."



Blank Space - so witty and catchy and ahhhh I'm so glad it's the next single. 


"'Cause darling, I'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream."


Style - MY. JAM. I want to learn to drive just so I can drive around late at night and listen to this. 


"You got that James Dean daydream look in your eye and I got that red lip classic thing that you like."


Out of the Woods - Jack Antonoff (I really like bleachers so I was so excited for Taylor's songs with him)+ Taylor are such a Godly collaboration. This song is so evocative and beautiful. (I'm actually jammin to I Wanna Get Better on repeat right now. SUCH A GREAT BAND.)


"But the monsters turned out to be just trees. When the sun came up, you were looking at me."


All You Had To Do Was Stay - One of my least favourite on the album but still fun and I do love it. 


"People like you always want back the love they gave away..."


Shake It Off - CLASSIC.


I Wish You Would - Another great Swift & Antonoff creation and I really love this, it sounds old-school and honest and like it should be in the background of a looking-out-the-car-window-scene in an old movie.

"We're a crooked love in a straight line down..."


Bad Blood - This song is just kick-ass in every way. 


"If you live like that, you live with ghosts..."


Wildest Dreams - ONE OF MY DEFINITE FAVOURITES BECAUSE IT IS MAGICAL.

"Say you'll remember me, standing in a nice dress, staring at the sunset, babe. Red lips and rosy cheeks, say you'll see me again even if it's just in your wildest dreams..."


How You Get The Girl - Fun and cute and endearing and it is almost reminiscent of songs from Fearless. I love it.


This Love - I love this song SO much, it is Hayley Williams' favourite and of course it is because she would never have poor judgement. This song makes me feel like I'm in a dream and it's truly phenomenal.


"Through losing grip on sinking ships, you showed up just in time."


I Know Places - The Holy Ground of 1989. (a.k.a. the happily-underrated song of the album that Taylor's fans see as their secret.) This song is so SO good I love the piano I love the lyrics I love the voice memo it's all just perfect.


'Loose lips sink ships all the damn time, not this time."


Clean - CAN WE ALL JUST TAKE A SECOND TO APPRECIATE THAT TAYLOR SWIFT AND IMOGEN HEAP WROTE A SONG TOGETHER. 


CAN WE.


PLEASE. JUST.


Every album Taylor has one collaboration that is tailored (no pun intended) just for me. It's obviously a force of nature. I've lllloooovvvvveeeddd Imogen Heap's music for so long and this song is no disappointment because it is really so incredible. The production is so, for lack of a better word, cool. And the lyrics are stunning. I have this really nice memory of listening to this song really loudly in my earphones just after downloading the album and walking by the sea, it was cold and windy and beautiful and I felt different...clean, I guess.


"Hung my head as I lost the war and sky turned to black like a perfect storm. Rain came pouring down when I was drowning, that's when I could finally breathe."

Wonderland - This song is '!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'. I think this is a perfectly adequate description. And there is nothing I love more in this world than interesting metaphors.

"You searched the world for something else, to make you feel like what we had. And in the end, in Wonderland, we both went mad..."


You Are In Love - UM. I'M NOT EXAGGERATING WHEN I SAY I HAVE TO FIGHT BACK TEARS EVERY TIME I LISTEN TO THIS AND I DON'T EVEN GET IT LIKE IT'S NOT A SAD SONG. I just love Lena and Jack (the song is about Lena Dunham and Jack Antonoff's relationship if you didn't know) and I love that Taylor wrote this for them. She has such a beautiful mind.


"He keeps a picture of you in his office downtown. And you understand now why they lost their minds and fought the wars, and why I spent my whole life trying to put it into words...'Cause you can hear it in the silence."


New Romantics - THIS IS ALSO ONE OF MY FAVOURITES AND I'M SERIOUSLY UPSET IT'S ONLY A DELUXE-EDITION TRACK BECAUSE IT IS SO GOOD! Taylor never really sings deluxe songs on tour (with exceptions) but I really hope she does sing this because it would be SO good live and it's the perfect mix of 80s + pop + fun + sassy + cool + empowering. It's my new listen-to-when-in-a-bad-mood-song. This title was perviously held by The Best Thing - WATiC (although this song still fits the purpose and will be used when my mood is so bad a second song is needed).


"We wait for trains that just aren't coming. We show off our different scarlet letters - trust me. Mine is better."


Overall I think this album is wondrous and breathtaking and extraordinary and harnesses Taylor's emotive witchcraft in beautiful, beautiful ways. It's like she took her musical magical powers and poured them into her music in new and exciting ways, to create something suitably new and exciting, but still the same in the strengthening parallels between this and her previous albums. I really just love Taylor Swift. She is a ridiculously great person.

The packaging of the album is also SO cute, definitely my favourite of any album. The polaroids are so pretty, the whole design of the cover and booklet and everything is all just stunning. I already have two copies but I need more. I just want a stack of them because they're so darn pretty. I also want all of the polaroid sets.


To conclude, it is 2:42am*, I love this album, Taylor Swift, and being off school so I can stay up writing all night. 


Thank you for reading this far and let's all be grateful we live in a world where music like this exists and people like Taylor exist.







*Not that I'm going to sleep. I'm totally going to listen to the album through at least once more then consider it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment